Thursday, December 27, 2012

We have cabinets!

Things are coming along nicely at the house.  In the past two days, the trim, cabinets, bathroom vanities, and railings have been installed.  The porch columns are in and they are a huge improvement over the 2x4s or whatever was holding up the porch. :)

Somehow our garage door managed to get severely dented in the last couple of days.  It won't even close now.  I suppose it's nothing that can't be fixed or replaced.  Another slight disappointment was seeing that they went ahead and drilled the holes for the drawer pulls.  We had asked for them to do the knobs on the cabinet doors, but not the drawers.  We wanted to install our own cup pulls.  I think a cup pull would cover the existing single hole, but who wants that many holes in the drawer?  I think we'll just stick with the knobs for a while.  Overall, we are SUPER excited about the progress and can't wait to see more!

Here are some pics:

Rushmore Maple Butterscotch Glaze
Railings before stain

Owner's bath vanity

Hall bath

Fireplace with dry grout

Porch columns!

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks; we were on the fence about the color, but now that they are in I am so glad we chose them!

      Delete
  2. Love your kitchen cabinets--not because I have the same combination but because they are just gorgeous! Can't wait to see what your color your granite is going to be. I absolutely love the butterscotch and I absolutely love your metal railings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadase! Great minds think alike :) Our granite is St. Cecilia--I sure hope the slab looks similar in color to yours. Fingers crossed...they measured for the slab today, so I'm not sure how long it takes from that point.

      Delete
  3. Wow, of course i love your railings same as mine......I hafta laugh you have more done than us and we close in 17 days........hahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were closing that soon! We just found out today ours is pushed to 22 Feb. They added cushion for the VA appraisal. Sounds like you won't have that problem :) Congrats on your upcoming closing!! You'll make it--the stuff in the most recent pics went up in two days.

      Delete
  4. I sure hope you are wrong about restarting construction from oh about day 10. I guess if you set yourself up for the worse case scenario, you will not be disappointed.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your metal railings!! They look awesome!! (along with the rest of the house) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house is looking good, but goodness....between this post and the newer one I just read, and others....holy cow, I would not be trusting these people with any attention to detail. One mistake is understandable, but there are A LOT.

    Obvious, none of my business, but are you complaining regularly with the sales rep??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, E! Yes, it seems like we have had a string of "issues" over the last couple of weeks. When we approach these things, we try to take a step back from our initial shock/awe/disappointment and remind ourselves that all of these things can and will be fixed. So far, all of the items except the crooked window have been addressed and in a timely manner. I hope my blog isn't too negative! I guess we tend to emphasize the "issues" because talking about how good the dried paint looks is not very interesting. :)

      For most issues, we take it to our PM. The sales rep has helped us out on a couple of things, but at this stage of the game, the PM is the one who is scheduling the subcontractors and responsible for overseeing the quality of their work. All in all, even with the problems here and there, we are very happy with the construction of the house! My advice to any new or used home buyer, remodeler, etc is to stay very involved in the process because no one is going to care as much about your property as you. :)

      Delete